Helping with all your homeschool
& educational needs.
Treasures is your place for great teaching resources.
My Other Sites
Cooking with Kids
Practical Parenting Today
Make a Floating Compass
The compass was one of the greatest inventions. Explorers were able to tell in which direction they were traveling. It made charting maps easier. Simple compasses have been in use for thousands of years. Follow these directions to make your own floating compass.
What you need:
- Small magnet
What you do:
- 1. Put the nail through the middle of the cork. Make sure the nail is sticking out on both ends of the cork.
- 2. Pull the magnet across the sharp end of the nail, rubbing in the same direction, several times. Rub at least 20 times. Do not rub the magnet back and forth, rub in one direction only.
3. Drop the cork in the water.
4. Watch it bob around; when it stops the nail will be pointing north. If you spin it around it will come back to north.
1. Using a compass chart a map around your house or school room.
2. Read a book on explorers.
- 3. On a map mark the North and South Poles
Reusable Usable Lnch Bags
Eco-friendly and practical all at the same time
Bunnies Printable Pack
Make Learning Come Alive!
Learn how to create your own unit studies
Ancient Egypt Unit Study
Polar Bear Printable Resource Pack